THE ASHWORTH PROGRAM IN SOCIAL THEORY
& THE SOCIAL THEORY POSTGRADUATE ASSOCIATION
UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE present -
The Future of Critical Theory
(A Postgraduate Conference)
17-18 November 2005
The Ashworth Program in Social Theory and The Social Theory Postgraduate Association (University of Melbourne) are organising a conference for Australian postgraduates researching in what may broadly be regarded as the tradition of "Critical Theory" entitled "The Future of Critical Theory" The conference will be held on the 17th to 18th of November 2005. We are inviting papers from Melbourne (and interstate) based postgraduate students in any discipline and asking them to reflect on the state of Critical Theory: its past, its present and its future.
Possible topics for discussion include:
1) The "criticalness" of Critical Theory.
2) The legacy of the Frankfurt School (from Horkheimer, Adorno to Habermas and Honneth): Generational interconnections, contemporary resonances.
3) Subjectivity and Intersubjectivity: what place does the 'subject' have in critical theory?
4) Developments in French critical theory -- Adumbrations of a French-German dialogue
5) Philosophy and Critical Theory
6) The politics and/or ethics of Critical Theory
7) The roots of Critical Theory: Marxism, Romanticism, Literature.
8) Dialogues with fields outside of Critical Theory that may be seen to provoke, supplement it or directly challenge it.
9) We also intend to devote sessions specific to these thinkers: Niklas Luhmann, Axel Honneth, T. Adorno, Manfred Frank, Agnes Heller, and Cornelius Castoriadis.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers: John Rundell (Director of the Ashworth Program in Social Theory), More Names to Follow
(Check updates on website: http://www.ashworth-program.unimelb.edu.au/)
Title and 250-300 word abstract for papers of 20 mins reading time.
Submissions should also include the following information:
Speaker's Name, Phone Number, Postal address, Email address, University Affiliation.
Submissions can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 30th September 2005. For enquiries, email email@example.com